This month’s For the Makers kit was called Toketee.
I looked it up on Wikipedia and found that Toketee is a Chinook Jargon word meaning “pretty” or “graceful”.
Here’s what was included:
There was a necklace, earrings, tea towel, and wall pegs.
I probably had the most fun with the tea towel. You needed to first cut out foam shapes and attach them to the ends of a cork. I decided on a triangle pattern, a chevron type pattern, and two parallel lines.
Then you mix up some paint and paint the foam and stamp it on the tea towel. Here are some designs I made.
Whole tea towel:
The other painting project were these wall pegs. I made these using blue painters tape to form the lines.
Of the two jewelry projects, I really liked the necklace and have already worn it with a red maxi dress.
Overall this was a pretty cool kit and I had fun making all of the projects. Can’t wait to see what is in store for June!
This months Darby Smart DIY kit was not my favorite.
It was a kit to make lip and mustache candies on a stick. Clever, but I don’t really like white chocolate and wouldn’t bother making these again.
They turned out okay, but as I said I wasn’t a fan of the actual candies.
Since I had cancelled my Paper Pumpkin subscription, I went ahead and splurged on a second Darby Smart kit this month that had caught my eye. It was a canvas bag that you decorate with gold studs. I love the design and the bag itself is pretty great.
This month’s For the Makers box arrived on the same day as Paper Pumpkin and I was really happy they got here in time for the weekend. I ended up spending Sunday morning doing crafts. Here’s what came in this month’s box.
This month’s collection was called “Sedona Sunset” and consisted of a chunky necklace, a stretchy bracelet, a faux leather notebook cover, and a clay bowl. All of them were fun to make, and the degree of difficulty was pretty low compared to the necklace from last month with the super thick chain.
Here are the finished products:
This one was fun to make, but the metal beads that hold the rope together were rather stubborn and again my jewelry pliers were too delicate to really close them so I borrowed a pair of heavier pliers from the toolbox in the garage.
This one was super easy but really cute. I will probably end up wearing it quite a bit.
It’s hard to tell from the pic, but it’s a lavender faux leather notebook cover. You sew the edge then attach the metal piece that holds it shut. Pretty straightforward but I had to cover a notebook that already had a cute cover because it was the only one I had that fit.
For this one, you needed an oven safe bowl to shape the clay and bake it in the oven, but I wasn’t sure if any of my cereal bowls were oven safe so I found the only thing that was specifically labeled as oven safe, and it was a small ramekin used for fondue. The shape is a little weird, and the clay wasn’t quite as swirly as I had been hoping for, but it was a fun little project.
Overall, I think I liked the December kit best with all of the sparkle, but these were great projects for a slow Sunday afternoon. I really like this subscription service!
I got my first “For the Makers” kit this month and absolutely loved the projects! The degree of difficulty varied between projects, but it kept me occupied during my time off and I had a ton of fun with the glitter.
Here’s what was included:
There were 4 projects total and here they are in the order I made them.
This was by far the most difficult of the projects, and the most fun! The chain was super heavy duty and none my jewelry tools would cut it. I had to borrow a cutting tool from my husband’s tool kit and even with that I needed to wriggle the tool back and forth for some time in order to get the link apart enough to slide the other two sides off. Later I even tried bolt cutters which STILL didn’t cut through that chain! It is seriously hard core. I followed the tutorial online using my Surface so I could work at the kitchen table and finished the project in one night. I really love the finished project and have already worn it twice.
These were the simplest project of the bunch. All you do is fill the center of these posts with glue, then dip them in the container of glitter, and voila! Sparkly earrings.
Sparkly Votive holders
These were also relatively easy. The instructions guided you through the one on the right, but I decided to try the one on the left using scotch tape to make the glitter stripes. Fun and easy and I like the way they look on our sideboard.
This one was also a bit challenging. I found a “K” stencil online and traced it using tailors chalk on this velour hoodie I had then proceeded to fill it in with the sequins, beads, and rhinestones. I ran out of the beads long before I was done and had to fill in the rest of the space creatively with rhinestones. It took a good part of the afternoon to finish this one.
Overall, I really liked this kit. It had projects of varying degrees of difficulty and it was nice to make things I wouldn’t normally do on my own. So far I really like this subscription service and can’t wait to get my January kit!