I decided to try candle making over Thanksgiving with mild success on my first attempt. I’m hoping to give these away as gifts at Christmas using some holiday themed fragrances and colors, but wanted to do a test run before using the supplies for the gift ones. Last night I made these two pumpkin pie scented candles using a paraffin/soy wax blend, amber color chips, pumpkin pie fragrance, and two 8oz mason jars.
I started by attempting to use an eye dropped to secure the wicks to the bottom of the jar as I had read about online with very little success. Then after melting and mixing up the wax, fragrance and dye chips, I poured the wax into the containers and used popsicle sticks to try to hold the wicks in place at the top. Unfortunately this didn’t work very well, and one of them moved after it had started cooling and left a large empty space where the wick had been.
Based on this experience I ordered some wick stickers and wick bars to use next time, so I don’t have the same problem. I thought I could get away without them, but it is much harder then it looks. My whole house was filled with the scent of pumpkin pie after mixing up the wax, so I’ll have to remember to do one fragrance at a time. I suspect a mixture of the scents would not be very pleasant.